guix-devel

Re: Joint statement on the GNU Project

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Joint statement on the GNU Project
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2019 22:18:49 +0200

Hi,

First, just to give numbers about what means 18 GNU maintainers. Here
[1] is the list of the GNU packages. I let you count but I guess the
list is more than 300 packages. Therefore, one can guess that the GNU
maintainers are more than 300.
Well, even if these 18 people are awesome, there are 18 compared to
more than 300. Therefore, now this statement is just a call.

[1] https://www.gnu.org/manual/blurbs.html

Second, we can complain about the wording of the statement, the
publishing way, asking for concrete facts, etc. but this statement is
not a surprise. Is it? Really?
It would have perhaps been better received if the 18 signatories did
as Thomas Bushnell [2]: speaking individually about their own
experience [3] of long time contributor. But does it change their key
point: "We believe that Richard Stallman cannot represent all of
GNU."?

[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Bushnell
[3]
https://medium.com/@thomas.bushnell/a-reflection-on-the-departure-of-rms-18e6a835fd84

To conclude, this statement will not change as we interact here on
Guix and how we are trying to be welcoming. And instead of spending
our resource on I-am-not-sure-what, let congrats everyone for the
core-updates merge of today! and let be happy about the last blog
talking about bootstrapping and say big thank you to Janneke (and the
bootstrappable team) for their amazing work on this. Please. It
appears to me more important than what I perceive as "splitting
hairs".

All the best,
simon