guix-devel

Stateful system directories

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Stateful system directories
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 10:35:01 +0300

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 05:08:20AM +0200, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:

> Kei Kebreau <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> >> Kei Kebreau <address@hidden> writes:

<snip>

> >> Have you tried removing /var/lib/gdm and the contents of your user
> >> account’s .local/share/gnome* directories?

<snip>

> ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/application_state is a common problem.  It
> contains some state that different versions of GNOME seem to be choking
> on.  There are some other files like ~/.cache/gnome* that might affect
> GNOME and prevent starting after upgrades.  It’s frustrating.
>
> /var/lib/gdm is the home directory of the gdm account, and it too can
> accumulate state.  In my opinion /var/lib/gdm should always be recreated
> on every boot.

Ignoring the directories in users' home directories, /var/lib/gdm has
been a source of pain on GNOME upgrades, and we still have some problems
with /var/cache/fontconfig and I believe there is something else with
permissions if you switch between ntp and openntpd. I actually have the
following snippet in my OS-config:

;; This directory shouldn't exist
(file-system
  (device "none")
  (mount-point "/var/cache/fontconfig")
  (type "tmpfs")
  (flags '(read-only))
  (check? #f))

While we work on fixing these does it make sense to modify some of these
services to unconditionally recreate their home directories on
boot/activation?

--
Efraim Flashner   <address@hidden>   אפרים פלשנר