guix-devel

Re: Questions about packaging

From: Gábor Boskovits
Subject: Re: Questions about packaging
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2019 11:34:44 +0200

Hello,

Tanguy Le Carrour <address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. okt. 21., Hét 11:24):
Hi Marius,

Le 10/18, Marius Bakke a écrit :
> Tanguy Le Carrour <address@hidden> writes:
> > In Guix, we have Pytest 4.4.2, but the latest release is 5.2.1.
> > In that case, would it make sense to define a new "versionned" public
> > variable for python-pytest? Would I create python-pytest5? Or would I
> > rename python-pytest to python-pytest4 and add python-pytest for Pytest
> > 5? In this later case, would I have to "fix" all the packages that were
> > using python-pytest?!
>
> Pytest has 4457 dependent packages and can thus only be changed on the
> 'core-updates' branch.  So the recommended way is indeed to define a new
> public 'python-pytest-5' variable, and add that as an input for the
> packages that require 5.x.

OK… sounds like something I can do!

> On the next 'core-updates' cycle, Pytest 5 will then become the default,
> and we will have to fix all packages that does not work with that
> version :-)

I guess those broken packages will show up as "red" in Cuirass!?
Would they have to be fixed, or just told to use python-pytest-4?

Is there a way to build those packages on my machine? What a
script to find and build all the packages dependent on pytest would look like?
I mean, using LISP/Scheme/Guile, as I think I could come up with a
"manual" solution with `guix graph --type=reverse-package`.
guix refresh -l should give you the minimum number of packages that ensures every dependent is rebuilt.

Regards,

--
Tanguy