guix-devel

Re: Maintaining GNU Jami package for Guix

From: Gábor Boskovits
Subject: Re: Maintaining GNU Jami package for Guix
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2019 11:02:59 +0100

Hello Jan,

Jan Wielkiewicz <address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. nov. 3., V, 22:20):
Dnia 2019-11-03, o godz. 11:15:56
Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> napisał(a):

> Can you share the complete recipe?

Yes. I guess you want a patch of my entire work so far, because
pjproject-jami is meaningless without changes in jami, so I'm attaching
the whole patch. Also the commit messages are messy, any advice how
should they look?

Thanks for working on this. I can share some recommendations on the commit messages and structuring
changes. While developing, feel free to do however it is convenient for you.
Then before sumitting:
If I see it correctly, then three packages are involved, so this should be three commits.
When adding a new package make that a separate commit.
Make it one commit, the final version. (You can squash commits together to make it one.)
The commit message there should be in the form:
gnu: Add <package>.
 When updating a package, you can make that a single commit.
Commit message should be:
gnu: <package>: Update to <version>.

If anything else is done besides updating the version, mention that in the commit message.
You can find examples in the git log of guix, like for commit: af561664b8191e2a34570176422f4d500d5fd4fb

One further thing: If you order the patches, then the earlier patches can make it to upstream before the rest of the series.
For example libresample could be incorporated eariler, reducing the amount of code on the branch.

Thanks so much for working on Jami, and happy hacking!

Jan Wielkiewicz

Best regards,
g_bor
--
OpenPGP Key Fingerprint: 7988:3B9F:7D6A:4DBF:3719:0367:2506:A96C:CF63:0B21