guix-devel

Re: Publishing news about Guix on a weekly basis

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: Publishing news about Guix on a weekly basis
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2019 08:36:46 +0000

Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, Nov 03, 2019 at 12:19:42PM +0000, Christopher Baines wrote:
>> 1: http://prototype-guix-weekly-news.cbaines.net/en_US/2019/41.html
>> 2: http://prototype-guix-weekly-news.cbaines.net/en_US/2019/42.html
>
> I think it would be useful to show a rolling report of upgraded/added
> packages. We used to have the mailing list for that and now debbugs.

That sounds like something that should be possible with the Guix Data
Service, I've added a timeline style table for package versions on a
branch (e.g. [1]), and it's possible to compare revisions to see the
changes, but it should be possible to construct a page that gives the
changes for multiple revisions.

1: http://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/package/guix

> A simple page that can be reloaded to see the latest with version info
> and link outs to the builds would be rather useful. Then, on a weekly
> basis, create an overiew.

So the Guix Data Service doesn't currently know about builds, but this
is something I'm looking to change [2], as it opens lots of new
possibilities. Including creating a page as you describe.

2: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-10/msg00467.html

> Not only good for humans, also good for search engines. I find the
> current package list https://guix.gnu.org/packages/ pretty useful, but
> I would like a search function because one keeps clicking to find a
> certain package.

So as Pierre points out, there is the Guix-HPC package search. The Guix
Data Service also contains a search function (e.g. [3]).

3:
http://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/latest-processed-revision/packages

If there's a need to keep the website as static content, maybe the
JavaScript approach used by the Guix-HPC site could be used on the Guix
Website. It should also be possible to use the Guix Data Service
information for a search feature.

Otherwise, maybe there could be a search box on the Guix Website, but it
links to packages.guix.gnu.org, which is a package search service (which
doesn't have to be part of the static website).

> May also be an idea to provide links throught the guix CLI, such as
>
>   https://guix.gnu.org/packages/alsa-lib-1.1.9/

What were you thinking people might use this for?

Thanks,

Chris