guix-devel

Re: #850644: RFP: Guix in Debian

From: Vagrant Cascadian
Subject: Re: #850644: RFP: Guix in Debian
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2019 20:43:34 -0800

On 2019-05-28, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> On 2019-05-16, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
>> So in a bit of a focused run of packaging, I've been chasing the
>> dependency chain necessary to get guix building on Debian:

>> * guile-gnutls needs to be (re)enabled in libgnutls*:
>>
>>   https://salsa.debian.org/vagrant/gnutls
>
> Proposed a patch to re-enable:
>
>   https://bugs.debian.org/905272#29

Which has since been fixed and guile-gnutls is again available in
Debian!

>> * guile-json needs to be updated to version 1.2.0 (3.x is incompatible),
>>   and I've pushed wip branches updating packaging for new upstream
>>   versions:
>>
>>   https://salsa.debian.org/debian/guile-json
>
> Updated to 1.2.0 in Debian experimental. A little awkward not updating
> to the newest upstream version, but hopefully that won't last forever...

Guix has since switched to guile-json 3.x, which is now in Debian.

>> * I've gotten some packaging for guile-git, guile-gcrypt, guile-ssh and
>>   guile-sqlite3 which need some more polish and then uploading to
>>   Debian:
>>
>>   https://salsa.debian.org/vagrant/guile-gcrypt
>>   https://salsa.debian.org/vagrant/guile-sqlite3
>>   https://salsa.debian.org/vagrant/guile-ssh

All Debian for a few months now!

>> * guile-git required scheme-bytestructures, which I've packaged, and
>>   needs to be uploaded before guile-git can be:
>>
>>   https://salsa.debian.org/vagrant/scheme-bytestructures
>
> Uploaded and waiting in NEW for review:
>
>   https://ftp-master.debian.org/new/scheme-bytestructures_1.0.5-1.html

scheme-bytestructures went through NEW a while back and...

The guile-git package just landed in Debian a few days ago, which was
the last missing build-dependency!

> It still needs a way to get the bootstrap binaries (bash, mkdir, tar and
> xz) from Guix; right now they're binaries shipped in the source!
> Ludovic Courtès worked on a patch that would in theory download those at
> run-time, but that is not yet working...

Since been solved in guix master branch, yay!

> Bootstrapping the system with MES is also WIP in Guix, and it might be
> possible to build identical bootstrap binaries using MES in Debian at
> some point:
>
>   https://bugs.debian.org/902174

I've made some progress on packaging MES as well, but I'm not sure we
want to wait till that's done to upload to Debian...

> The guix packaging for Debian also has a small number of test failures,
> at least one of which simply needs to be disabled because it accesses
> the network (which violates Debian policy).

The test failures seem a bit larger on this most recent pass.

> Also needs some updates to the packaging to get the guix-daemon running
> out of the box, for which there's a provided systemd service, and adding
> some guixbuild users, which shouldn't be too hard.

Working on that now...

live well,
  vagrant