guix-devel

Re: default GNOME desktop background

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: default GNOME desktop background
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2019 23:16:53 +0100

Hello,

Alexandros Theodotou <address@hidden> skribis:

> I find it strange that the default background in the GNOME DE is a
> plain color instead of one of the backgrounds installed with
> gnome-backgrounds.
>
> I am not exactly sure how to do this the guix-y way to send a patch,
> but the background that gnome uses is the value of the key
> "picture-uri" in the gsettings schema "org.gnome.desktop.background".
>
> So, to get the background you would do:
> gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.background picture-uri
>
> To set it:
> gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-uri
> "file:///home/me/Pictures/mybg.jpg"
>
> Can we please set it to one of the pre-installed backgrounds?

Commit 65209ffabd9245fac78eeb2caf5bcca3e4963937 changes the default
background.  (This only has an effect for new installations, though.)

It would be good to have a “branded” background, as was suggested in
this thread, but it’s probably a bit more work.

Thanks for putting us on the right track to fix this issue!

Ludo’.