guix-devel

Re: Python 2 end-of-life?

From: Alex Griffin
Subject: Re: Python 2 end-of-life?
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 17:28:43 +0000

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019, at 11:46 AM, zimoun wrote:
> What do you do?
> Do we deprecate the python2 packages? If yes, what would be the
> schedule? If no, do we move all the python2 packages to a
> python2-xyz.scm file?
> Do we do nothing? Based on what rationale?

I think a good place to start is by just filing bugs against packages that rely
on Python 2, saying that they face removal once Python 2 is EOL. As Konrad
pointed out though, not every package necessarily needs to support Python 3. I
think there can probably be exceptions for packages that do not add much
security risk or maintenance work.

Red Hat will continue providing security fixes to Python 2 for several more
years. PyPy will also continue to support Python 2 indefinitely, so packaging
that and making it an option in python-build-system may be an option for some
packages.

--
Alex Griffin