guix-devel

Re: FOSDEM is coming!

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: FOSDEM is coming!
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2019 01:59:06 -0600

On Sat, Nov 23, 2019 at 05:12:00PM +0100, Mathieu Othacehe wrote:

> Hey Ludo,
>
> > It’d be nice if you could present what you’ve been doing in or around
> > Guix there, particularly in tracks that would allow us to reach out to
> > people we don’t usually get to talk to.  There’s been a lot of work on a
> > variety of hot topics: bootstrapping (Mes & co., Rust, etc.), Guix Home,
> > Guix Data Service, ‘guix deploy’, GWL, Guix on ARM, etc. let’s talk
> > about it!
>
> I submited a talk to minimalistic devroom titled: "GNU Guix as an
> alternative to the Yocto Project". Maybe the distributions devroom would
> have been more appropriate.
>
> The point of this talk is to compare the process of creating a small
> root filesystem on Guix and Yocto for an embedded device (Pine A64
> LTS).

Hi Mathieu,

You can submit to both devrooms. As a coordinator of the minimalistic
devroom I think your talk fits. Mind, it still needs to go through the
review of the devroom to get selected. But yes, Guix represents
minimalism to me even though we still need to work to make it really
suitable for embedded systems (like routers).

Pj.