guix-devel

Re: NLNet grant "Next Generation Internet -- Search & discovery": I'm in

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: NLNet grant "Next Generation Internet -- Search & discovery": I'm in!
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2019 22:21:18 +0100

Pierre,

Pierre Neidhardt 写道:
I'm happy to let your know that my application to the NLNet "Next Generation Internet -- Search & Discovery" grant for Guix has been
accepted!

Yay!  The second joyful announcement on guix-devel this week.

1. Parameterized packages
(Previous discussion: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-05/msg00285.html)

Gentoo’s package manager, Portage, exposes a “USE flags” feature which allows users to customize packages in a way that composes (e.g. “disable the GUI elements of all packages” for a headless server). This essentially subdivides packages into smaller “components.” Since those components form the smallest atoms a user could search for, this is a prerequisite for the rest of the
   searchability improvements.

Very curious to see where this goes. Do you have any other examples of distributions that attack this problem in (more) interesting ways than Gentoo?

The inevitable “oooh, you mean like USE flags” mental shortc(irc)ut that this subject inevitably triggers seems stifling to me… but it affects me as well and I don't have any better ideas.

Thank you, and good luck!

T G-R