guix-devel

Re: Loading modules built using linux-module-build-system

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: Loading modules built using linux-module-build-system
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2019 21:06:27 +0100

Hi Ludo,

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 21:35:32 +0100
Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:
> Rather than a list, we could have a ‘make-linux-libre-union’ procedure
> returning a <package>, so that we preserve consistent typing.
>
> That is, people could write:
>
>   (kernel linux-libre)
>
> or:
>
>   (kernel (make-linux-libre-union linux-libre some-package))
>
> WDYT?

Hmm, isn't it more like a profile?  I mean it would work the way above but
there's (presumably) some reason why SOME-PACKAGE was an extra package.

We don't have to use the /run/current-system/profile for that, it could be
a new one.

What are the downside of using a profile vs. using a package in that way?