guix-devel

Re: Proposal for Outreachy (May-August 2020)

From: Jan
Subject: Re: Proposal for Outreachy (May-August 2020)
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2020 19:06:58 +0100

Hi!

On Tue, 07 Jan 2020 11:32:10 +0000
"Raghav Gururajan" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello Guix Folks!
>
> 1) Improve GNOME Software Stack and GNOME Desktop Environment's
> user-experience in Guix.

In my opinion we should stay away from GNOME, because it is a Red Hat
project, rather than GNU now. More than this, GNOME makes some bad for
user freedom decisions, for example they promote nonfree software in
their "Software" application. They also promote nonfree services such as
Facebook, Google mail, etc. in their "Online accounts" application.
They also make some poor design decisions such as adding support for
flatpak, which is going to have support for "paid", which most
probably means nonfree applications and they add more and more
systemd-only features (systemd's problem is feature creep, software
bloat, uncooperative developers and merging projects into systemd,
without any reason).
That's why I would like to see XFCE being improved rather than
GNOME.
Ideally both GNOME and XFCE should work well on Guix, but if we have to
choose between those two, I vote for XFCE.

But that's my private opinion, it'd be better, if Guix maintainers told
what they think about it.

Jan Wielkiewicz