guix-devel

Re: Collect guix profiles in single directory.

From: Raghav Gururajan
Subject: Re: Collect guix profiles in single directory.
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2020 11:44:24 +0000

Hello Ludo!

> To me, the most important aspect of your proposal is having all profiles
> in one place (Konrad proposed something similar recently, well, “last
> year.” :-))
>
> Like I wrote then, ‘guix package --list-profiles’ was an attempt at
> making it easier to locate profiles, even if they’re not in the same
> directory, so that you can easily operate on them. What Konrad noted is
> that this returns all the profiles, including
> ~/.config/guix/current-kind of profiles, which may be inconvenient.
>
> I’m generally wary of enforcing arbitrary conventions, such as a
> specific directory to store all profiles, but at the same time I agree
> that this can be convenient, so I’m a bit split!
>
> Also, such a change would need a transition plan: what does ‘-p’ become, etc.
>
> Thoughts?

I just subscribed to guix-devel and happen to see this email.

I had similar thoughts before, that is putting all profiles under single
directory.

I was conceptualizing this:

The way we track or mark a particular generations as current generations, I
think we can apply same concept to profiles. For example, instead of having
'default-profile' in one directory and others in 'extra-profile' directories;
all profiles will be put under one directory. There will be first initial
profile '0' created automatically for each user; just like how system
generation '0' is created. Then, a user can create as many profiles as they
want. It will be tracked as 1, 2, 3 and so on. But here we can a tag something
like 'default'. similar to 'current' tag for generations. User can change which
profile to be default through `--change-default'; just like
'--switch-generation'.