guix-devel

Re: Package file indexing

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Package file indexing
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2020 15:51:49 +0100

On Thu, 9 Jan 2020 at 15:21, Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> wrote:

> Why don't you like it?

You are like Haskellers or Perlers asking why ">>=" is not clear. :-)

I do not find meaningful "/.*gmsh.h" to search the file named "gmsh.h".
I find clearer "file:gmsh.h".

Taste of cheese and wine... :-)

> I don't like "file:" because:
>
> - It can make for ambiguous command line to the human read
>   (e.g. "file:file:").

Bad faith? ;-)
I do not know how many user will search for the term "file:".

> - It's a new arbitrary syntax which the user must learn to use it, which
>   means they probably won't.

Hum? I am not convinced.

> The benefit of "/" is that it works _incidentally_.  If you are looking
> for "bin/hg", then `guix search bin/hg` will do the right thing.

I agree.

To be clear, to search the binary 'hg', I find clearer "guix search bin/hg".
However, to search any file which you do not the path, I find clearer
"guix search file:foo.h".

Well, it is enough of bikeshedding, isn't it? :-)

> > What is the purpose of this "list-files" for you?
>
> Listing the files of a package like in the example you gave.

Ok.

> What I meant is that we already have a subcommand that outputs a
> property of the given packages, i.e. "guix size".  If I'm not mistaken,
> there is no "guix package" flag that displays any property for the given
> packages.

You are suggesting "guix size emacs --list-files", right?

> I am just thinking about keeping consistency across the various
> subcommands of Guix.

I do not have a strong opinion. :-)
To me, the right place is "guix package --list-files" but I am not
convinced. :-)

Cheers,
simon