guix-devel

Re: Store channel specification in profile

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Store channel specification in profile
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2020 15:46:24 +0100

Hi Pierre,

On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 at 15:02, Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> wrote:

> So what's the take-away of this thread?
>
> 1. Simon suggested to add options to convert the manifest to the
> user-friendly specification file (i.e. something compatible with the
> --manifest option).
>
> What about this instead: systematically generate this "specification"
> file in every profile?  This way no need for extra command line options,
> the work is already done for the user.  "To reproduce a profile" would
> boil down to passing around this specification file.

Sounds good to me. ;-)

> 2. On December 2, Simon mentioned Ludo's suggestion (from
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-11/msg00285.html)
> that we added a "guix channel" subcommand for channel management.

You mean Konrad's suggestions. :-)

> Shall we open 2 bugs for these?

The UI is not clear to me. And before adding some new CLI, we need to
agree (reach consensus) on what it is expected. Because then, it will
be hard to change/remove this CLI.

For example, Konrad also suggested "guix profile" doing part of "guix package".
And this same name "guix profile" showed up again in the discussion
about "guix environment".
Maybe "guix channel" could supersede "guix describe".
etc.

All the best,
simon