guix-devel

Re: Inverted index to accelerate guix package search

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Inverted index to accelerate guix package search
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2020 18:13:51 +0100

Arun Isaac <address@hidden> writes:

> For the time being, since we don't have xapian bindings, I think we
> should settle for sqlite's full text search capabilities.
>
> https://www.sqlite.org/fts5.html
>
> I have attached a short proof of concept script for an sqlite based
> search. Speedup is around 200x, and populating the database only takes
> around 2.5 seconds. Here is a sample run.
>
> Sqlite database populated in 2.5516340732574463 seconds
> Brute force search took 0.11850595474243164 seconds
> Sqlite search took 5.459785461425781e-4 seconds

This is really cool!  And quite simple too!
So now I suppose the test would be to try with some real world examples :)
I don't know the kind of tests we can write for this though.

If the results are convincing enough, I'd agree with you: we can first
settle for SQLite before moving to something more sophisticated like
Xapian.

Cheers!

--
Pierre Neidhardt