guix-devel

Re: Maintaining Jami #3

From: Jan
Subject: Re: Maintaining Jami #3
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 15:53:24 +0100

I didn't really answer your questions earlier, sorry.

On Sun, 19 Jan 2020 10:20:51 +0100
Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Jan,
>
> I tested the Jami package we have in upstream Guix:
>
> - It fails to start on my desktop, it only works on my laptop.
What do you mean by desktop, is it even a difference for the OS and the
application?

> - The client kept disconnecting.  I could send a few text messages
> here and there, but most of them didn't go through.
For me it works, I test it in my local network though. The problem
begins when you try communicating with someone behind a strong NAT,
firewall or a badly configured network. Based on my previous experience
I think that's normal - it have never worked well enough, because ISPs
don't want you to have control over your networking - client-server
applications work well, but p2p are broken. Often router firmware is
buggy, outdated and malicious as nonfree software is.

> - I could not give an audio or video call
Works on my machine, except for the bug caused by screen sharing.

> - I can receive text messages perfectly.
This one works.

> - I can receive calls, but when I click on the "pick up" button, Jami
>   crashes.
Maybe its something hardware specific or depends on the client you call
with - I have no problem answering calls made from Android.
> In general, Jami crashed _a lot_.  I wonder if it's upstream or if we
> have something wrong with our package.
>
> Did you have a similar experience?
> Does your work fix any of those issues?

I tested 20200115 version now, and it pretty much works the same.
Anyway I fixed my private branch and can continue working, but see no
point in waiting.

What DE are you using? I could try it on my machine. If you run it on
top of Wayland, then you should know Jami is currently broken on
Wayland, they work on fixing it. Aaaand even if client-gnome will
continue being broken like this, they're working on porting
client-windows(Qt) to GNU/Linux and there's a possibility it won't be
broken as well.

Jan Wielkiewicz