guix-devel

Re: (not) testing Rust packages?!

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: (not) testing Rust packages?!
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2020 20:55:46 +0200

On Sat, Jan 25, 2020 at 08:46:48AM -0800, John Soo wrote:
> Hi Hartmut and Martin,
>
> I think it makes sense to run tests now.
>
> > Part of the reason is that bringing tests for a given library can bring in
> > a massive amount of dependencies.
>
> I think that we are getting close to having complete dependencies for most
> rust packages we have and most are declared in the package definition.
>
> Furthermore since most rust libraries we have are not executables, we could
> still skip the build and run the tests I think. Aren’t the two phases
> completely separate for cargo?
>
> Other downsides I see for not skipping the build are really increasing the
> store size.  Would skipping builds but still running tests increase the store
> size at all?
>
> I like the idea of having tests, too.  Plus I’d like to see the cargo build
> system come closer to the standard package definition.

In addition, since we don't actually need any of the results of the
crates, it does provide a quick way to notice if we've provided the
wrong version of a dependency. I also noticed that we're missing
rust-average-0.9 which is definitely needed for rust-rand-0.6 and I'm
sure others.

If we enable building and tests and are lenient with skipping tests,
that alone would be an improvement.

--
Efraim Flashner   <address@hidden>   אפרים פלשנר