guix-devel

Re: Using the Hetzner Cloud

From: Alex Sassmannshausen
Subject: Re: Using the Hetzner Cloud
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2020 18:15:19 +0100

Hello,

Ellen Papsch <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Am Montag, den 17.02.2020, 14:47 +0100 schrieb Jonathan Brielmaier:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> as promised on the Guix Days in Bruxelles I asked Hetzner[0] if they
>> could provide us some free VMs in their cloud[1].
>>
>> […]
>>
>> What do you think about it?
>>
>> ~Jonathan
>>

> a few days ago I requested the Guix installer from Hetzner as well. I
> […]
> cpu/memory ratio (0.25 cpu/1G RAM) and it's not configurable.
>
> Best regards
> Ellen

Figured I might as well add my experiences.

I originally have done the same thing as you did Ellen.  This was a bit
of a slow process for deploying Guix to Hetzner servers though.

Now I use a different approach: deploy a debian server then use a
guix-infect style script (gleaned from the guix deploy code for digital
ocean).

So I deploy debian, then copy across a script and run that.  This takes
care of turning the debian machine into a guix machine and deploys my
sys config immediately.

This is by far the fastest way of deploying to Hetzner VMs I've found
yet.

It also means you can use Hetzner's CLI for creating and managing your
VMs.

It's on my to do list to create a solid guix deploy server creation
module for guix.

Hth,

Alex