guix-devel

Re: February update on data.guix.gnu.org and the Guix Data Service

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: February update on data.guix.gnu.org and the Guix Data Service
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2020 09:31:11 +0100

Christopher Baines <address@hidden> writes:

> I forget exactly when, but recently I've been trying to revive the patch
> review setup I was working on around a year ago [6]. I've setup an
> instance of the Guix Data Service for this [7] (separate to the
> data.guix.gnu.org one). I might try and have that instance of the Guix
> Data Service process all the branches in the Guix git repository, now
> that data.guix.gnu.org doesn't do that.
>
> 6: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-02/msg00089.html
> 7: https://guix-patches-data.cbaines.net/

This is great!
So how do we use it?
I tried clicking on series-2472, then "Latest processed revision", then
"View cgit".
Is it how it's supposed to be done?

I'm guessing the "series-N" naming is temporary, as it would be nice to
have commit / email title instead.  What does the number refer to?

Side question: I'd like to know if some package substitute is available,
say MAME:

http://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/package/mame

If go to

http://data.guix.gnu.org/revision/3dd311e3a059131ef245417106d4fb659222ef3c/package/mame/0.218

I see it is scheduled.  If I click on "Scheduled" I end up here:

http://data.guix.gnu.org/build-server/1/build?derivation_file_name=/gnu/store/7aqmbfjwm0hiy1kviijj7fc9wqp71mnw-mame-0.218.drv

There is a timestamp: 2020-02-05T21:59:55
Does this mean it's been 13 days since the schedule?  That's odd.

Back to the
http://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/package/mame page, I
don't really understand what the first version means.  If I click on the
latest date, I end up here:

http://data.guix.gnu.org/revision/3dd311e3a059131ef245417106d4fb659222ef3c

This is Guix, not MAME, right?  I wonder why we display this here, I
find it a bit confusing.  I think the version table should explicitly
mention that this is the Guix revision, not that of the package
(assuming I understood correctly).

Anyways, as usual thanks for the fantastic job!

Cheers!

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/