guix-devel

Re: Store channel specification in profile

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Store channel specification in profile
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 11:32:20 +0100

> (Note: we should remove the ‘sort’ call here as the order of packages in
> the manifest is significant when there are file collisions.)

But the export is not an "internal manifest", it should not need to know
about package order, right?

I sorted the export so that it produces a reproducible output, which is
more version-control friendly.

> How does that sound?  Would you like to integrate something like this,
> maybe ‘guix package --export’ or something?

While it would be good to have it, what I was suggesting is that we
automatically generate this export on every profile generation, just
like we do with system profiles and

/run/current-system/configuration.scm
/run/current-system/channels.scm

I didn't understand from your previous message which downside you find
to embedding the specifications.scm file.  It would save efforts to the
user and be more systematic, in the sense that it gives a guarantee to
the user that a specifications.scm corresponds to a profile.  This last
point, I believe, is crucial.

Cheers!

--
Pierre Neidhardt