guix-devel

Re: Hurd bootstrap breaks guix building binutils-boot0@2.34

From: Svante Signell
Subject: Re: Hurd bootstrap breaks guix building binutils-boot0@2.34
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 12:20:30 +0100

Hello,

I did build the bootstrap binaries some time ago. They were corrupt. As well as
the pre-built ones that were available at
http://berlin.guix.gnu.org/guix/bootstrap/i586-gnu/20190508

Down-grading from guile-2.2 to guile-2.0 did not improve the situation.

Now I have a project to cross-build Hurd from a GNU/Linux box: hurd-cross, using
the latest versions of the gnumach, hurd, glibc, gcc, etc. The built Hurd boots
and runs fine in a VM :) The project will soon be available on Savannah. From
there I will again cross-build the bootstrap binaries for Hurd, in due time
though. (Other packages, like ones not yet available natively, can also be
cross-built. That's an interesting extension.)

See
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-08/msg00198.html
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-09/msg00000.html
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-09/msg00014.html
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-09/msg00225.html
for some of the efforts to make Guix work on GNU/Hurd.

Thanks!
(and sorry for top-posting)