guix-devel

Re: Website page to track packaging progress

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Website page to track packaging progress
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 11:05:16 +0100

Hi Alexandru-Sergiu,

Alexandru-Sergiu Marton <address@hidden> skribis:

> I propose we put up a new page on the GNU Guix website that tracks the
> progress of at least some of the commonly desired packages that either
> do not exist at all on Guix or are outdated. A FAQ for packages, like
> Frequently Requested Packages (FRP) or something.
>
> Examples include: GNOME, KDE, .NET Core, Rust, Python.
>
> The page should contain details about what is keeping us from easily
> integrating each package into Guix.
>
> If someone is known to work on any of the packages listed on that
> page, maybe list them as a contact (if they agree) for other people
> that may want to help?

It’s quite rare for in-progress packaging work to be shared.  Most
packages are small and easily done and so it makes little sense to share
an in-progress version.

For big packages or collections, like KDE, people tend to send progress
reports or patch series because that requires more coordination and help
on difficult issues.  These can be seen at <https://issues.guix.gnu.org>.

I think it’s hard to gather information more precise than that because
each one of us volunteers to do work when the need arises and when time
permits.

Ludo’.