guix-devel

Re: Frequent locales problems for new users

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: Frequent locales problems for new users
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 09:47:33 +0200

On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 04:28:43PM -0400, Leo Famulari wrote:
> Warning! Locales! New users seem to have trouble with Guix locales every
> day.
>
> I think we can improve the situation.
>
> First, we can deprecate the glibc-utf8-locales package and not mention
> it in the manual section Application Setup. I've seen users think they
> had to install it in order to get UTF-8 support. Everyone should be
> using glibc-locales. Eventually we can rename it to
> 'glibc-locales-for-tests', and hide the package too.
>
> Second, we need to make sure that guix-install.sh is setting up
> GUIX_LOCPATH correctly. I see that the binary tarball's store includes
> glibc-utf8-locales, so it should be possible for things to "just work",
> ignoring that it's the wrong locales package. Does anyone know any
> particular issues with the installer that would cause trouble?

I haven't setup a new install or helped people with one in a while so
bear with me. IIRC there are two times it's needed, once for the daemon,
and we already added the environment variable to the systemd unit, and
once for each user. I think making it Just Work™ with the daemon would
be really good at a minimum.

--
Efraim Flashner   <address@hidden>   אפרים פלשנר