guix-devel

Re: environment variable handling cleanup ?

From: Hartmut Goebel
Subject: Re: environment variable handling cleanup ?
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 09:54:57 +0100

Am 22.03.20 um 15:40 schrieb Vincent Legoll:
> as I'm trying to ramp up my scheme & guix -fu, I'm wondering if
> something along the lines of :

Well, I did not count how often this is used, but (guix built utils
update-env) might benefit from this, to.

> There's also the added (or (getenv ...) "") which is not present in
> all target cases.

I suggest to default the value to #f (False), since - depending on the
variables semantic - it may make a difference whether the variabel is
empty or actually unset. This is especially true when used within a
programming language like Scheme which has a notion of "False" - which
env-vars do not have.

> Another question is the usefulness of the separator parameter,
> as I think all target cases use ":", so hardcoding it would be a
> sensible choice.

I doubt there Is a need for different separators The path separator is
defined to be ":" in Posix. So I'd suggest to use a hardcoded value.

--

Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | address@hidden               |