guix-devel

Re: Use genimage for disk-image creation.

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: Use genimage for disk-image creation.
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 00:24:38 +0100

Hi Mathieu,

from the standpoint of ARM it would be really good to be able to reuse
genimage config files from buildroot.

In fact, partition layout is a major pain in the ass to get right on ARM.
If we want to support a large number of ARM platforms, that would
mean the partitioning would be fixed and not user-modifyable anyway.

> Danny, Ludo, WDYT? Could we modify "system-disk-image" to use genimage
> as a backend instead of spawning a VM?

It depends on whether genimage supports all filesystems we care about.
I suspect that it does, though.

Genimage images tend to be reproducible btw, so it's kinda nice.