guix-devel

Re: core-updates frozen!

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Re: core-updates frozen!
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2020 09:20:26 +0100

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> writes:

> Marius Bakke writes:
>
>> The branch currently represents 676 commits by 26 people.  Some
>> highlights from this round:
>>
>> * Guix runs natively on GNU/Hurd.
>> * Guix System can be cross-compiled for foreign architectures.
>> * The distribution is built with Guile 3.0.
>> * GNOME 3.34 (on a separate branch, will get merged shortly).
>
> These are exciting changes!  Let's also not forget:
>
>  * for x86 and x86_64: another reduction of the bootstrap binary seed by
> roughly %0%, to ~60MB!

I knew I was forgetting something important!  Thanks for the reminder.

For those unaware, this means that the set of trusted binaries at the
root of the package graph from which everything else derives is only 60
MiB (on i686 and x86_64).  The set no longer includes GCC, binutils, or
glibc!

For more information, see jannekes blog post:

https://www.joyofsource.com/guix-reduces-bootstrap-seed-by-50.html