guix-devel

Re: native or not

From: Vincent Legoll
Subject: Re: native or not
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 11:51:57 +0200

Hello,

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 11:44 AM Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <address@hidden> wrote:
> Vincent Legoll 写道:
> > I'm not seeing any size difference, but groff is not in the
> > output:
>
> There's some deeper confusion here: why do you expect the size to
> change, at all?

Because I've been told so...

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 8:57 AM Mathieu Othacehe wrote:
> Well yes it may reduce the closure size of the package (run `guix size
> sudo`) to get it.

But I don't expect that to happen every time (I've seen the "it may")...

> Making ‘groff’ native was the right thing to do (and please, keep
> fixing bugs like this! :-) but it has nothing to do with making
> packages smaller.

Never will ?

I'm not expecting package size to shrink, but package closure
(is that the right word) size to sometimes shrink.

And if I've understood that may be visible for ISO, VM, container
image sizes.

Am I mistaken ?
Still learning...

--