guix-devel

Re: [GSOC 2020] Booting via network

From: Brice Waegeneire
Subject: Re: [GSOC 2020] Booting via network
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2020 19:10:14 +0000

Hello Vagrant,

On 2020-03-30 23:16, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
I was just thinking Guix needed network boot support yesterday! Happy to
hear you're looking into it...

I've been the LTSP maintainer in Debian for almost 15 years, so have a
good amount of experience with network booting. LTSP was rewritten from
scratch last year and there might be elements of it useful to you:

  https://ltsp.org

None of it is scheme code, but there are possibly some useful ideas in
there you could make use of. One of the big changes is making extensive
use of iPXE, though that might need some further auditing to meet the
FSDG (Free Software Distribution Guidelines?) for inclusion into Guix.

I see the rewrite has been done during a GSoC too; it's interesting that it
has mostly been done in shell. It looks like a interesting project, I'll
keep reading...

- Brice