guix-devel

naming scheme for "compilers" toolsuite?

From: zimoun
Subject: naming scheme for "compilers" toolsuite?
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2020 04:12:39 +0200

Dear,

Giving a look to the Arun's patches [1] about improving "guix search",
I am testing some queries. Well, I am not able to find what I want in
the jungle of all the packages, independently of the implementation of
"guix search".

For example, what is the package which provides standard libraries and
tools for Haskell? for OCaml?

Does the package named "ghc-toolchain" or "haskell-toolchain" seem a good idea?
Debian provides the package named "haskell-platform" which gives a
nice batteries included Haskell experience.

Note that Guix already provides "gcc-toolchain" or "clang-toolchain"
or "gfortran-toolchain". Therefore, it seems consistent to provide
something similar for Haskell and OCaml, say. Maybe more.

Last, from the "guix search haskell" it is hard to know which packages
to install and then to have an easy Haskell experience. The package
"ghc" is the sixth on the list.

What do you think?

All the best,
simon