guix-devel

Re: Submitting a package on another's behalf

From: Julien Lepiller
Subject: Re: Submitting a package on another's behalf
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 10:39:38 -0400

Le 20 avril 2020 09:14:54 GMT-04:00, Steven vanZyl <address@hidden> a écrit :
>Hello!
>
>I would like to submit a package to Guix that someone I know wrote.
>They do not wish to submit it themselves, and have given me explicit
>permission to do so on their behalf.
>
>I was wondering if there were any special considerations to be made? I
>have added both their and my names to the copyright of the file in
>question, and I was going to mark them as Co-author on the Git commit.
>Is there anything else I should do?

Not sure if we have guidelines, but here's what I think:

If you didn't take part in creating the patch, do not add yourself to the
copyright or as the author of the git commit. If you participated in the
content of it, and the other is the main author, have them be the author of the
git commit and add yourself as co-author. Add a line for both of you in that
case. If you are the main author and the other person helped you, you did the
right thing.

Ianal, but I think, if you publish someone else's work, you don't own any
copyright on it. You cannot say you are the author of something you didn't
create, and that's also why you had to ask for permission before sending us the
patch :)