guix-devel

Re: Image generation

From: Mathieu Othacehe
Subject: Re: Image generation
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 11:27:33 +0200

> * Add support for ISO images.

For ISO images, by running make-iso9660-image directly on the host (see
wip-disk-image branch), I have a considerable time decrease.

This command:

guix system disk-image --file-system-type=iso9660
gnu/system/examples/bare-bones.tmpl

takes,

* Without zisofs compression, on host: 4min
* With zisofs compression, on host: 8min
* With zisofs, on VM: 19min (master)

This makes me think that we may want to make iso compression optional,
so that tests can use uncompressed iso that takes more space but are
faster to produce.

It seems that there are also some alternatives to xorriso such as
genisoimage (used by genimage).

Mathieu