guix-devel

Re: hint: Run `guix search ... | less' to view all the results

From: pinoaffe
Subject: Re: hint: Run `guix search ... | less' to view all the results
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 11:58:52 +0000

On 2020-04-27 08:38, Jan Synacek wrote:
While we're at it, let me also give my opinion about supporting PAGER.
If it means that if PAGER is set, use it, otherwise don't page, then
that's perfectly valid and, in my opinion, how PAGER support is
supposed to work. If it means that *unless* something is set *not to
use* a pager as some tools currently do (I can only think of some of
the systemd tools off top of my head), use pager by default, then
that's also backwards. But it's still much better than truncating
output by default.
imo the best option would be to page, print or truncate depending on
an envvar and/or a commandline flag