guix-devel

Re: Jami: Bug source investigation

From: Jan
Subject: Re: Jami: Bug source investigation
Date: Sun, 3 May 2020 18:11:46 +0200

On Sun, 03 May 2020 17:26:33 +0200
Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> wrote:

> Jan <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Calls over WAN are always tricky, I had little luck with that even
> > with the official Jami binary packages. With some friends
> > everything works 100%, with other nothing works. I guess that's
> > because of outdated proprietary router/modem firmware and hostility
> > towards p2p. Try disabling firewall on your router (yeah I know,
> > sounds bad).
>
> Sadly I can't do that on my friends routers :(
> As long as this issue persists, this makes Jami not so useful as a
> communication tool.

You can also set up/use existing TURN server.
There was a blog post about it:
https://jami.net/establishing-peer-to-peer-connections-with-jami/

Would be cool if someone added to Jami something like GNUnet or Tor
support - using peers you can connect to as relays.

Eventually you can buy your friends a better router with sane
configuration for birthday or burn ISPs to the ground and create user
controlled mesh network :)

Jan Wielkiewicz