guix-devel

Re: hide more output

From: Bengt Richter
Subject: Re: hide more output
Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 22:00:25 +0200

Hi,

On +2020-05-06 16:25:19 +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> skribis:
>
> > While I’m sure many of us have gotten used to this I think we don’t need
> > to show quite as much information.  My proposal is to hide the
> > “downloading from <really long URL>” by default, because the URLs don’t
> > really matter to users.  We can unhide that bit of info when slightly
> > higher verbosity is requested.
>
> I think it’s nice to see the URLs, or rather the host part thereof, when
> using multiple substitute servers.  But perhaps we can still make that
> less verbose?
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Ludo’.

Just so I don't have to re-run something very timeconsuming to see the verbose
version.

IOW, if there isn't one, I think there ought to be a default detailed log
produced (while teeing through optional verbosity/brevity filters or the user's
grep.

It might be nice to have an option to menumonic-tag-name the log for easier
later access and review.

--
Regards,
Bengt Richter