guix-devel

Re: Bundler 2

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: Bundler 2
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 18:00:52 -0500

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 05:48:12PM -0400, Jack Hill wrote:
> On Tue, 12 May 2020, Josh Holland wrote:
>
> > Indeed I see that gnu/packages/ruby.scm only packages Bundler v1.17.3,
> > though Bundler 2 was released in January 2019 [0].  I'm not hugely
> > familiar with the Ruby ecosystem, but reading the release announcement
> > suggests that they expect users/developers to have both Bundler 1 and
> > Bundler 2 available.  If I hadn't seen this, I'd have gone ahead and
> > submitted a patch simply upgrading the Bundler package definition, but
> > I'm not sure if that will then immediately break every package depending
> > on it that expects Bundler 1.
> >
> > Is this a valid concern?  Should Guix provide packages for both Bundler
> > 1 and Bundler 2, or would just Bundler 2 be sufficient?  I'll still
> > write a definition for the new version, but I'll hold off submitting a
> > patch until I've had some feedback.
> >
> > [0]: https://bundler.io/blog/2019/01/03/announcing-bundler-2.html
>
> Josh,
>
> Thanks for raising this question.
>
> I'm not a Rubist, but we do wrangle some Ruby code at work (unfortunately,
> not yet with Guix). Our experience has been that everyone interacting with
> the code should use the same Bundler version, so I think that as long as
> Bundler v1 is supportable, we should provide both in Guix.
>
> What do others think?

Bundler is a packaging tool that typically works at the source tree
level. Its approach is to pull all dependencies in. With Guix we don't
have much use for it. Better to package gems in Guix and benefit from
a true reproducible and dependable deployment system that *includes*
underlying dependencies, such as libxml and all that.

Sometimes it is useful to try gems.  I did write up in the past how I
mix Guix packages with Ruby gems.  Using bundler is just another
layer. See

https://gitlab.com/pjotrp/guix-notes/-/blob/master/RUBY.org#gnu-guix-ruby-with-bundler

Not much love for bundler therefore ;)

Pj.