guix-devel

Re: How to package inputrc

From: Bengt Richter
Subject: Re: How to package inputrc
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2020 03:17:51 +0200

On +2020-07-13 00:01:32 +0200, Jonathan Brielmaier wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> an annoying thing for me in a default Guix installation is the lack of
> an inputrc definition[0]. So while using the shell I miss going through
> my bash history via "page up"/"page down" keys.
>
> To tackle this issue I created a simple inputrc and copied to
> `/etc/inputrc`:
> ```

What hat are you wearing? Admin or user as logged in, or user as user
of a particular app, or?

Of course, as owner of your machine, you may do as you please, if you can ;-)

But IMO user preferences should stay out of the root directory, like /etc/...
so I would put your mods in $HOME/.inputrc, as your ArchLinux referece [0]
discusses,
or maybe under ~/.emacs.d/ if it's just emacs you want to tweak.

As you say, other distros provide defaults, but unless you want to modify
everyone's experience who logs in on the machine, I would say stick to
$HOME/.something, where something IMO should not be more global in effect than
need be.

Think twice about anything you need sudo to accomplish :)

I think it is a kind of namespace hygiene problem, when it is not clear who gets
to define names and what they do under what circumstances.

My 2ยข ;-)

--
Regards,
Bengt Richter