guix-devel

Re: GNOME: Suggesting ‘guix gc’ upon low disk space

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: GNOME: Suggesting ‘guix gc’ upon low disk space
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2020 14:31:58 +0200

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> I found the answer to my questions soon after I sent my message, and
> here’s the result:
>

> Neat no?  :-)

It’s very nice!

It never occurred to me to patch applications to do more useful things
in a Guix context, because we have always been rather conservative in
applying patches.  But I think this is a good idea.

> I initially tested it in a VM but somehow ‘gsd-housekeeping’ doesn’t
> trigger low disk space notification in VMs.  So I reconfigured a
> victim’s actual laptop, filled the disk, and waited for the
> notification.  (Worry not, I have since freed disk space and the victim
> now has the status of happy user.)

Heh :)

> Is there a way we could get the message of that button translated?
> Or is the only way to do that to submit the patch upstream?

I don’t know the answer.  If we submit the patch upstream, though, we’d
probably have to make it conditional, perhaps depending on the presence
of /gnu/store or something like that.

--
Ricardo