guix-devel

Re: emacs-lucid (was Re: Emacs closure at ~900MB?)

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: emacs-lucid (was Re: Emacs closure at ~900MB?)
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2020 01:06:25 +0200

On Fri, 25 Sep 2020 at 10:28, Giovanni Biscuolo <g@xelera.eu> wrote:

> If that's the case could you please add a comment in #41732 that points
> to #43538 explaining that it solves the use cases of #41732, possibly
> with some examples and/or a Coockbook section?

Attempt currently happening… :-)

See: <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/43578#8>

> Re the subject: do you think #43578 can help users in getting
> emacs-lucid starting from emacs? Do you have an example please?

I do not know.  However, I am not personally motivated by emacs-lucid.
Maybe I miss something but if I read correctly, this toolkit is old and
so I do not know how it is maintained.  Is the new HarfBuzz included?

Well, #41732 and #43578 change the Emacs VM when compiling Emacs
packages and not the rendering toolkit.  Other said, compiling Emacs
packages with the package emacs or emacs-lucid is exactly the same.  The
difference between emacs and emacs-lucid is the rendering toolkit, not
the VM.  AFAIU.

> AFAIU having a public emacs-lucid in Guix master is a better solution
> for users, but I may be missing something! :-D

You mean better because the GTK bug?  Well, I am extensively using Emacs
and I do not remember hitting this bug.  Maybe I do not use Emacs
enough. ;-)

Cheers,
simon