guix-devel

Re: Outreachy Applicant: An Introduction

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Outreachy Applicant: An Introduction
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2020 22:10:41 +0200

Hey Magali,

Welcome!
And thank you for your interest in Guix.

On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 at 20:57, Magali Lemes <magalilemes00@gmail.com> wrote:

> I already installed the Guix package manager on Ubuntu and am going through
> some of the commands.

Really cool!
What is your feedback on the topic?  Easy to install?  Difficulties?
Still unworking or unexpected behaviour?

> Anyhow, I'm excited to know what my next steps could be. I truly appreciate
> an answer.

There are different possible next steps, depending on your interest.
In random order:

 + See if you want to contribute to the translation effort.  If you
are native of one of these languages:

       <https://translationproject.org/domain/guix.html>

help is welcome!  For example, my first contribution to Guix was to
read cover-to-cover the Guix manual and proofread the French
translation.  Doing so is an unusual way to be familiar with the Guix
ecosystem but really interesting.  Note that it would be part of this
effort:
  <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-10/msg00091.html>

  + Try to package something of your interest.  You might read the
Cookbook and the relevant part of the manual:

<https://guix.gnu.org/cookbook/en/html_node/Packaging-Tutorial.html#Packaging-Tutorial>
<https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Defining-Packages>

Well, the easiest way is to create a new folder, say /tmp/foo and
write your new package in the file /tmp/foo/example.scm and then:

  guix show -L /tmp/foo <package-name>
  guix build -L /tmp/foo <package-name>
  guix build -L /tmp/foo <package-name> --no-grafts --check

Once it builds reproducibly, you can try to include in master.  Well,
raise the hand at this moment. :-)

  + Tweak the source of Guix.

  git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
  cd guix
  guix environment guix --pure
  ./bootstrap
  ./configure --localstatedir=/var/
   make -j 8 # adapt
   make check
   ./pre-inst-env guix help # the fresh compiled 'guix' ;-)

You could be interested by
<https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Contributing>.

Well, then you can try to fix a bug <http://issues.guix.gnu.org> and I
recommend one with the tag easy: