guix-devel

Re: Hello from new Outreachy applicant

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Hello from new Outreachy applicant
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 14:11:52 +0200

Hi Lulu,

Welcome!  :-)

zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> skribis:

> Basically, the key to success is communication.   Raise the hand _as
> soon as possible_.
>
> Then my advice is: everyday log what you are doing.  It may be only
> one or two lines, sometimes more.  Once a week (at least), collect the
> items and send me (privately) maybe with some patches or a branch to
> pull for testing.  The idea is to know your progress and your blocking
> points and then help you.  On a weekly or bi-weekly basis, voice (or
> video) chat with any mean which suits you (especially your timezone).

These sound like great ideas.

I would add that Outreachy is not just about technical contributions but
also about enabling the intern to become part of the group, possibly
serving as a model for contributors-to-be.  So I encourage you to
interact with the wider group in addition to your mentor, I think it can
be beneficial to all of us.

Thanks for joining!

Ludo’.