guix-devel

Re: Shipping more installer images?

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: Shipping more installer images?
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 15:48:42 +0200

Hi Ludo,

On Mon, 12 Oct 2020 13:47:25 +0200
Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

> Mathieu Othacehe <othacehe@gnu.org> skribis:
>
> Keep in mind that images use space at ftp.gnu.org and also take time to
> build (having CI up-to-date helps with that, but it doesn’t not
> eliminate build times due to the ‘update-guix-package’ dance that takes
> place during “make release”.)
>
> Likewise, if we ship more images, we should update the “System
> Installation” section accordingly and be clear about what users can
> expect.
>
> I guess all I’m saying is that we should not make such decisions lightly
> and be sure to examine all the consequences.

I agree.

IMO there are only very few RYF-worthy ARM devices--and we should support
at least those, if we support any ARM devices at all.  That includes
providing images for those few (at least A20-EOMA68, A?0*Olinuxino*, and
Novena).

(Now that we use genimage in order to create guix images anyway, long term
we can also provide an importer and import essentially all ARM devices
from buildroot--but that can come later)