guix-devel

Re: Releasing guix binary in Docker format too?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Releasing guix binary in Docker format too?
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 11:12:41 +0200

Hi,

zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> skribis:

> Back to this.  Since it would be nice to try to release (somewhere?)
> an experimental guix Docker image.

Among the issues to be addressed is whether we can push to DockerHub
with free software only (there was a discussion recently on IRC about a
tool to do that, but I don’t remember the details.)

> guix->libx11: graphviz@2.42.3
> guix->fribidi: graphviz@2.42.3
> guix->graphviz: graphviz@2.42.3
> guix->cairo: graphviz@2.42.3
> guix->pixman: graphviz@2.42.3
> guix->libjpeg-turbo: graphviz@2.42.3
> guix->pango: graphviz@2.42.3
>
> And AFAIU, this 'graphivz' package is only used to produce the images
> in the manual.  Similarly, the package 'texinfo' which pulls *a lot*
> could be removed.

These are build-time dependencies so that should only be a problem when
one has to build ‘guix’ from source.

Thanks,
Ludo’.