guix-devel

Guix Front End (GUI) and making it more mainstream, popular in scientifi

From: Aniket Patil
Subject: Guix Front End (GUI) and making it more mainstream, popular in scientific community.
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 21:55:10 +0530

Hi all,

I am a researcher in the field of AI. Many of the people in the field of AI are inclining towards GNU/Linux operating systems. Particularly I would say they use Ubuntu. In general, they can also use LinuxMint or any other GNU/Linux distro of their choice. What I noticed in these people (researchers) they tend to be more focused on mathematical aspects and scientific programming. If we build a GUI frontend then we can attract more people who don't identify themselves with CLI users. As such there are many people like writers, Graphic Designers, General users, etc. who don't bother about CLI, will love to see such a package manager.  And considering the fact GUIX lets rollback to the previous version of the package it will be very helpful in the scientific community, to maintain and work with different versions of packages.

For example, the LAMBDA ( consist of TensorFlow, PyTorch, Keras, NVIDIA Cuda, Ubuntu) stack is very popular in the field of AI. Now if a person with a fresh install of GNU/Linux wants to install the stack and work immediately, through GUI he can search for the recipe of LAMBDA and install it. Not only that if it doesn't exist, but they can also create and share their own recipe with other guix users or to the main server/repo. E.g Linus Torvalds shares the recipe of building a Linux kernel environment. User finds it, installs it, and start working on the development of the Linux kernel immediately.

P.S: I don't know whether GUI for Guix exists or not, to my knowledge it doesn't. If I am mistaken please enlighten me on this topic.

Regards,
Aniket.