guix-devel

Re: Outdated avr-toolchain

From: Arun Isaac
Subject: Re: Outdated avr-toolchain
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2020 00:35:44 +0530

>> I have an old patchset[1] to this effect, but I didn't want to proceed
>> without a discussion. I was concerned that there might be a use, for all
>> these different versions, that I did not comprehend.
>
> I don't think so.  The AVRs are so tiny and development using them is usually
> done by copying library source code into your project, so I cannot see any
> reason to care about different gcc versions for AVR.

Thanks for the clarification. I have pushed to master a patchset that
makes avr-gcc track the version. So, our avr-gcc is now version
7.5.0. And, I have replaced the various avr-toolchain functions with
simple variables.

> avrdude is another matter--it's very easy to break that if you don't actually
> test it.

True, I too have an ISP programmer that only works with an older version
of avrdude.

Cheers!