guix-devel

Gtk via the web

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Gtk via the web
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2020 11:24:59 +0100

Hi Ludo,

On Sun, 01 Nov 2020 22:53:26 +0100
Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

> Lars-Dominik Braun <ldb@leibniz-psychology.org> skribis:
>
> Long ago Dave Thompson wrote guix-web, which allowed you to install
> packages (you’d run it as your user):
>

> https://archive.softwareheritage.org/browse/origin/directory/?origin_url=https://gitorious.org/guix-web/guix-web.git
>
> It’s an interesting approach with several advantages (in particular it
> can be quickly developed), though I must say I remain unenthusiastic
> about using web browsers for local GUIs.

You can use Gtk applications in the web using Broadway.  That's why I enabled
Broadway in our gtk+ package a long time ago.

Try it:

broadwayd :1 &
GDK_BACKEND=broadway BROADWAY_DISPLAY=:1 gedit &
icecat http://localhost:8081/

(broadwayd is in gtk+'s "bin" output)

Not saying we have to do that--but it's possible.