guix-devel

Re: RFC: subcommand to pause/resume builds

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: RFC: subcommand to pause/resume builds
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2020 17:32:29 +0100

Ludo',

Ludovic Courtès 写道:
First, note that the daemon is unaware of “packages”, it only knows
about “derivations”.

Derivations have a (file) name, which can be matched with a regex allowing one to, say, ‘pause libreoffice’. It works in practice. I do this often & it's *extremely* convenient.

Sometimes even necessary, because I have a habit of starting too many builds ;-) It's nice not to lose 6h of work.

Not every handy hack needs to be upstreamed though. ‘It's fugly’ is a strong argument in Guixland, and I like that.

However, this is FUD:

Last, you’d need to send SIGTSTP to the whole process group of the
build, like so (I think, haven’t tried):

  sudo kill -TSTP -123

where 123 is the “SessionPID” shown by ‘guix processes’. However, doing so may affect build results: processes in the build environment might
handle SIGTSTP specially, which can have side effects.  It’s an
observable action.

Kind regards,

T G-R, now thinking about acronyms like ‘CRIU’ and what a next-level hack would look like...