guix-devel

Re: Questions regarding Python packaging

From: Michael Rohleder
Subject: Re: Questions regarding Python packaging
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2020 21:43:09 +0100

Hello Tanguy,

Tanguy Le Carrour <tanguy@bioneland.org> writes:
> I've just learned, by accident (working on `python-keyring` [1]), that
> `python setup.py install` was somehow deprecated in favor of tools like
> `pep517` or `build`.
>
> So, I've tried packaging `python-keyring` with those two…

apropos python-keyring:

I also tried to update that package (in order to package "pantalaimon"
which needs this) [1]
The problem with this thing is, it wants to install an egginfo with
version 0.0.0, no matter if build with setup.py or poetry [2]

I tried debugging^Whacking this a while (eg. updateing setuptools, as
suggested in the ticket), but couldn't make it work.
If you find a solution, I'd be interested ;)

Footnotes:
[1]
https://rohleder.de/gitweb/?p=guix.git;a=blob;f=mroh/guix/packages/python.scm;h=0c847795375ce08ca878727f15fd1a1b156df6f7;hb=HEAD#l533
[2] https://github.com/jaraco/keyring/issues/469

--
There are no winners in life, only survivors.