guix-devel

Re: Fixing Zabbix db-secret-file documentation.

From: Miguel Ángel Arruga Vivas
Subject: Re: Fixing Zabbix db-secret-file documentation.
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2020 12:54:54 +0100

Hi!

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> writes:
> Miguel,
>
> Thank you, and everyone else, for all your translation efforts. I've
> translated before.  It's ruddy hard work.

You're welcome, and thank you too: we had nothing to translate if nobody
pushed changes to make Guix even more awesome than it currently is. :-)

> Miguel Ángel Arruga Vivas 写道:
>> Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> writes:
>> Just for the record, I'm glad to translate that change or whatever
>> comes
>> next, but it makes me a bit sad when that effort is reduced to a
>> number,
>
> I'm not reducing your effort to a number, quite the opposite: I meant
> that keeping the old wording ‘just because it's already been
> translated’ would be doing so.

No problem, I understood, but my point really was that it isn't a
problem because "it's already been translated" but because "it triggers
again a procedure which was already taking place".

> Nobody actually suggested that, and I'm very happy that you're both
> willing and able to translate new strings so late.  I wasn't expecting
> that.

I try to maintain the translation up to date, as I'd like to keep "info
guix.es" as close as possible to a fully translated "info guix" (quite
hard to do though, and not really an option with our current flow), so
for me it actually means just one change in my working PO file, but that
isn't usually the case for everybody.

> Let me know what needs to happen if there's still time!

I guess that pushing another tarball to TP isn't the path we're going to
take as I feel it will cause more friction on that side, but surely we
could do it, even only sending one for the manual is a possibility
there.  On the other hand, removing that phrase is an editorial change
that perhaps could be done at project level instead of at TP: querying
the translators directly how to remove the old bits from their
translation may be an option for this.  The last option (that I don't
like neither, but it isn't on my hand to take a final decision) is to
keep the release as it is: it wouldn't affect the manual shown by the
installation, but it'll be lost as soon as a pull is performed.

WDYT?

Happy hacking!
Miguel