guix-devel

Re: “guix pack -RR r“ fails?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: “guix pack -RR r“ fails?
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2020 21:41:01 +0100

Hi,

zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> skribis:

> On Sun, 8 Nov 2020 at 18:34, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> Oh right, you’d need to pick a different execution engine, most likely
>> ‘fakechroot’ is the only one that works on this machine:
>>
>>   export GUIX_EXECUTION_ENGINE=fakechroot
>>   strace -f -s 500 -o log ./bin/R
>
> Hum?  I do not know if I am doing correctly.  The packages
> fakechroot-2.9-24.5.el6_1.1.x86_64.rpm and
> fakechroot-libs-2.9-24.5.el6_1.1.x86_64.rpm are installed.  And I get
> as regular user:

You do not need these packages: the tarball includes a copy of
libfakechroot.so (see
<https://hpc.guix.info/blog/2020/05/faster-relocatable-packs-with-fakechroot/>).

> $ export GUIX_EXECUTION_ENGINE=fakechroot
> $ strace -f -s 500 -o logg ./bin/R
> fakechroot: unsupported Guix execution engine; ignoring

You would need to use ‘guix pack -RR’ instead of ‘guix pack -R’ to get
the ‘fakechroot’ execution engine.

> However, as root, simply running ./bin/R returns:
>
> # ./bin/R
> R: run.c:245: disallow_setgroups: Unexpected error: No such file or directory.
> Abandon

That indicates that user namespaces are not supported.

But wait, if you’re root, you can just as well upgrade to a kernel that
supports unprivileged user namespaces… or even install Guix?  :-)

HTH,
Ludo’.